Contact Us

Barb and Brian

For more information and date availability,
contact Brian Lindberg

Soap Creek Outfitters, LLC
33271 Highway J3T
Unionville, Iowa 52594
641-895-3224 cell
641-932-2233 my office

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Hunters speak about Soap Creek Outfitters

I need to start by expressing how truly thankful I am for my friendship with Brian Lindberg.  His willingness to help me any time I need it has not gone unnoticed!  I cherish our friendship and truly have cherished this experience.  Those of you who know Brian can vouch for his character, integrity and conviction.  His lodge and properties are incredible, definitely a destination you can’t afford to pass up.  Thanks Brian for pushing me into this J!!!

On to 2011 where in early Oct. I  set up my trail camera just off the edge of some cut corn where I had seen him most often in 2010.   On Oct. 28th I got the first photo of this buck at about 10 AM (1st photo).  I sent this photo to Brian and his first inclination was to laugh and ask what hunting magazine I got the photo from.  Candidly, I had to send him a second, more convincing text to persuade him the photo was real.  After seeing the photo, Brian loaned me his bow and MADE me take up bow hunting specifically for the purpose of hunting this deer.  Before Oct. 28th, 2011 I had never hunted with a bow so I went to the local archery shop (Bluff Creek Archery) in Albia, upgraded the accessories, got a crash course in bow hunting and its terminology, and practiced my A$$ off.  I had Brian help me re-position a stand location about 25 yards from a large scrape in a small finger of woods on the west side of the property.  This finger, maybe 40 yards wide by 80 yards long, jetted out into the picked corn and was used heavily as cover for the deer as they moved from one part of the field to another.  This was also a mere 50 yards from the trail camera where the photos were taken.   Needless to say, the first week wasn’t pretty and frankly made me question my decision.  Free beer at Brian’s lodge if you’d like the funny stories of my first week in stand… J.

Darins__BuckOn Dec. 2nd the winds were perfect... this time out of the SE at 7-8 mph.  A SE wind would allow the deer to hit the scrape the without alerting him of my presence.  Before jumping up into the stand, I hit the scrape I watched him work on Nov. 30th with Tink’s Power Scrape (non-paid endorsement J).  At about 3:30 I had a small spike come in from the south, bed down 25 yards from the stand for about 30 minutes, then walk just to the left of my stand and out into the picked corn to feed.  As I watched the spike in the corn I could hear movement to my left.  After a few minutes I glanced over my shoulder and out into the picked corn.  I was stunned… he was there!  I remember thinking “Holy S***, It’s HIM”  as my heart went from 60 to 160 instantly.  I tried not to stare at his rack but the mass up close was stunning.  He milled on the field edge for only a moment and made a B-line for the scrape I had sprayed down.  He worked it hard for a few moments as if another buck was trying to invade his territory.  He took the few crucial steps to his right needed to bring him perfectly into range.  I gathered my composure, drew back, buried my 20 yd pin behind his shoulder and let it fly.  The hit was true but a touch low (where we encountered first blood was actually 24 yards).  He ran about 40 yards down the field’s edge and stood there for several minutes.  I could tell he was hurt badly.  He turned and walked into the timber and bedded down.  I felt that the execution was good and the wound was fatal, he just need time to expire.  Rather than wait until morning we felt that due to the heavy rains that were forecasted for later that night & Saturday morning, our best chance of tracking the blood was later that evening.  We gave the deer about 3 ½ hours and went back out.  As Brian eluded to, although we had a ton of blood initially, we did run out of blood.  Needless to say I was devastated!  Rather than push him, we collectively decided to back out and come back in the morning.  Little did we know that as we stood there in the dark at the sight of last blood the deer lay no more than 20 yards from us in a thicket.  Quite an incredible end to a wonderful, memorable, humbling experience.  Thanks Brian, I owe you big time!  DF

Darin L. Fisher